I adapted this recipe from Rachel Ray’s site…. It is really good and much better for you than the boxed stuff! It’s high in vitamin A, calcium and fiber and is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
• 1 pound whole wheat cavatappi or macaroni (organic if possible)
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 2 tablespoons organic butter
• 1/2 medium onion
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 cups organic chicken stock
• 16 ounces cooked butter nut squash (you can buy frozen or bake from fresh)
• 1 cup organic half-and-half
• 1 1/2 cups organic sharp Cheddar, grated
• 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• Black pepper
Heat a pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water then add the pasta and cook to al dente.
While pasta cooks, heat a medium heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the oil and butter. When the butter melts into the oil, grate the onion and garlic directly into the pot with a hand held grater or Microplane. Cook the onion and garlic in butter and oil 1 to 2 minutes, then add flour and cook together 1 to 2 more minutes. Puree the stock and squash together in the blender until smooth then add to pan and whisk until warmed through and smooth. Stir in the half-and-half and bring sauce to a bubble. Stir in cheeses in a figure 8 motion and season the completed sauce with salt, nutmeg and pepper. Taste to adjust seasonings.
Drain cooked pasta well and combine with sauce. Serve with a big salad or veggie side of choice.
Here's the giant batch I made on Wednesday... It's already been part of 3 meals now for us!