I am THRILLED the new food icon is a graphic of a plate. What a novel concept! That's exactly how we eat... on a plate. It really can't get any simpler than that. Here are some of the key concepts from USDA to help you really get this new My Plate concept:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals ― and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
The messages are pretty simple. Now the real question will become, How can you translate that into your family's dinner plates?
Over time I'll prepare and blog about different meals that reflect these recommendations. I'll post pictures and recipes so you can see exactly what this looks like in real life. In the meanwhile, go check out www.choosemyplate.gov and browse all of the great info there. Print this new icon and stick it on your fridge! Then you can easily compare your meals to these simple, heathy recommendations!