Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Homemade Plantain Chips

I love plantains... probably would have never discovered them for cooking at home if it weren't for my Honduran Mother in Law. It seems almost every time she comes by she brings a mango and plantains. She typically fries the plantains, which is really tasty, but I decided to try baking them today to save a few calories. Plantains are actually really good for you! They are high in fiber, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin B6 and vitamin C!


I started with about 3 yellow plantains which I peeled and sliced (to peel you have to actually cut off the outside, they don't peel like a banana). The thinner you slice them, the crispier they will be. I like them a little thicker so they have a softness inside. I then tossed them with a few tbs of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Bake for 20 min or so in a 375 oven and presto... an instant healthy snack! I eat them plain or even dipped in salsa and sour cream. 


Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment