Thursday, January 12, 2012

Animal Free and Loving It!

Kale


So I have to tell you all, I've been on a vegan diet for for about 11 days. I am ABSOLUTELY loving it. I can not believe my energy levels, my skin is glowing and I've lost 7 lbs. I don't plan to stay vegan forever- just for a bit more into the new year. It's just been a great way for me to give my health a kick after the holiday gorge. 


Now I know a vegan diet is certainly not for everyone, it would be especially challenging to do with kids, but there are some great things you can take from it! 


First of all, our diets really should be plant based. Remember the My Plate guide release last year? HALF of the plate is covered with fruits and vegetables. Trying to achieve this at each meal is a great goal- for you and your kids (and don't forget about snacks!).


It's also great to encourage us all to try new things. Perhaps get a little adventurous with some kale, tofu, seitan, tempeh or miso.


Finally, I've found it's a great way to cut some extra calories. I made tacos tonight with tempeh... and instead of adding sour cream and cheese... I just added more salsa. Its was delicious and and had no saturated fat calories. 


Here's a kale salad recipe for you all... it's AWESOME! I've converted many non-kale eaters with this one... give it a try, even if you pair it with some chicken!!!



“SUSHI” GREENS
1 bunch greens (kale/collards/chard) , stems stripped and leaves chopped
Juice of 1 lemon (use more if bunch of greens is big)
1/4 cup olive, canola or grape seed oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tsp honey (or more to taste- I like it sweet)
1/4 cup (or more) peeled or julienned carrot, sweet potato or beets- I use way more
1 avocado, cubed (optional)
1/4 cup raisins (optional)- I use more
1 tsp miso (optional)
Whisk together lemon, olive oil, miso and salt. Pour over greens and carrot (or substituted ingredients). Toss together and marinade at room temperature for at least an hour. Toss with remaining ingredients.

You can skip the waiting 1 hour if in a hurry!

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Holly will miss wine & cheese Friday updates for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! If you come cook for me i will be a vegan too:) No seriously i am trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete